I love gaming magazines. From The Dragon to White Wolf Magazine to White Dwarf Magazine to Pyramid Magazine, the lure of a regular stream of new ideas from game designers I admired and respected was one I always answered.
Wicked Words is my own “house organ” mag that delivers essays, articles, adventures, short stories and just about anything else that hits my fancy. Every issue of Wicked Words is guaranteed to have at least three articles and always includes a new episode of my (in)famous gaming advice column, Play Dirty.
If you want to get a subscription (and pay only $2.99 instead of $3.99), you can click here!
This time around, Wicked Words includes:
- So, this issue got took over (yeah, I know that ain’t good grammar) by a huge project called Heroes & Villains. I had plans for other stuff, but this thing just kept growing and growing and growing. I was talking about my old college Champions campaign (the one detailed in Play Dirty) and friends of mine asked me to run a game in that setting. I threw together a system and started introducing them to all the NPCs and situations… and a ton of memories flooded back. I started writing it all down and as I wrote, I remembered characters I had forgotten for twenty years. Pause right there. I ran my Champions game in 1989. That’s more than twenty years. Man, I’m getting old. So, now, I give you Heroes & Villains. In addition to the rules, I’ve also got a ton of NPCs for you to add to just about any supers game. (May I suggest Marvel Heroic Roleplaying by Cam Banks?) Feel free to port them over to wherever you like.
- We’ve also got the standard Play Dirty column
- As well as the beginnings of a setting called Full Dark which is meant to be used for Savage Worlds, but you can put it just about anywhere you like.
- While this issue has only three articles, it also has over 15,000 words and a ton of full color pictures. Jessica Kauspedas introduced me to www.fotor.com and I went nuts finding pics for my old super NPCs and writing up new NPCs for pics I found. Enjoy!
- Finally, I’m throwing up something new at the end of this issue. It’s called “Not Dead Yet.” I have long-term plans for this one. Expect to see a new episode every issue.