I love gaming magazines. From The Dragon to White Wolf Magazine to White Dwarf Magazine to Pyramid Magazine, the lure of a regular stream of new ideas from game designers I admired and respected was one I always answered.
Wicked Words is my own “house organ” mag that delivers essays, articles, adventures, short stories and just about anything else that hits my fancy. Every issue of Wicked Words is guaranteed to have at least three articles and always includes a new episode of my (in)famous gaming advice column, Play Dirty.
If you want to get a subscription (and pay only $2.99 instead of $3.99), you can click here!
This time around, Wicked Words includes:
- First, our Play Dirty article this month tackles two—count ‘em two!—different, but related topics. We’ll talk about the proper way to handle cheaters (one of the most common questions I get) as well as adding significant consequences to your game.
- Next, I’ve got a little magical chocolate morsel called Vancian. It’s a meta magic system for any game inspired by Jack Vance’s overused trope. (Consider it a Jack Vance heartbreaker. Oh! Another Valentine’s Day reference!)
- And then… and then… the biggest heartbreaker of them all! You’ve been waiting for it… you’ve been begging for it… (okay, only one of you has been begging for it) but here it is! The beginning of Santa Vaca! This is where I take the character sheet from The Most Popular Roleplaying Game in the World and see if I can make a… different game out of it. Yeah. You know what I’m talking about.
- Next, a little love letter to one of my favorite people. A long time ago, I designed an RPG for The Legend Jessie Foster called The Inverse Law of Ninjas. I revamped it a bit, polished it up and now, it’s yours.
- After that is a short story from Galaxy XXX called “Zhero.” I’ll say nothing more.
- Finally, another Little Game. This one a twist on an old friend. Go check it out.